Thursday, July 31, 2008

Kevin's 40th Birthday













Kevin's "Old As Dirt" birthday milestone turned out to be "the best birthday I've ever had" --- direct quote from the old man himself. After a SUPER-DELICIOUS breakfast of Croque Madame's (grilled breakfast sandwiches with ham and swiss cheese, topped with a fried egg and a lightly Dijon-flavored bechamel sauce -- and yes, I can forward you the recipe), we met our friends Almond and Gary at "The Quarry" in Orem to do a little rock climbing. Almond and Gary (and Gary's brother Jeff) are AMAZING climbers...so strong and agile! They showed us the ropes (no pun intended) and we were off! After getting over a case of the jitters, I was able to get more comfortable on the wall and completed 4 different climbs. Kevin was more adventurous than I was and he scaled some of the more complex routes up the wall. I was so proud of him --- you know, being 40 and everything. I thought he might fall off and break a hip, but he managed to come out at the end of the day with no broken bones.

Next, it was off the Mainspring Day Spa for a couples massage :) After the climbing, the one-hour massage was WONDERFUL! I, for one, was surprised at how strong the little lady giving my massage was. WOW! She eats her Wheaties in the morning! She worked me over from head to toe....no muscle was left unattended. Kevin's masseuse was incredible, too. We both left there feeling rejuvenated and pampered.

When we got home, Kevin was met at the door with Micalyn saying, "Dad! Come outside! We found another snake!" (yes, ANOTHER....but that's a different story). Kevin followed her to the backyard where he was COMPLETELY SURPRISED to see many of our friends, neighbors and family members there for a surprise party!! I can't believe I pulled it off! I must give credit here to my amazing friends, Almond and Gary, who did all of the work of setting up for the party while Kevin and I were getting our massages. Almond also supplied the food since she is the owner of the best sandwich shops around...SENSUOUS SANDWICH!!! Everyone ate and chatted and enjoyed the "Old As Dirt"-themed party...even down to the sugar cookies branded with the party theme :)

We were both so happy that our friends and relatives celebrated the day with us. We are so blessed to have such loving, caring, and fun people in our lives.

So - I'm married to an old man now, but I still love him --- gray hairs and all!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh man. Your best friend owns Sensuous Sandwich? How can life get any better?!

::descretely wipes the drool off the keyboard::

And happy birthday to Uncle Kevin. Is it really 40? I swear he looks much muuuuuuch younger than that. I'm not even doing the flattery thing here. I'm being really serious.

Anonymous said...

You know it, baby! Sensuous Sandwich is a major part of my life because of Almond. She has catered baby showers, baby blessings, baptism celebrations, birthdays and BUNKO nights for me. I never get tired of eating them, though. They are such MAGICAL MEDLEYS OF MEATS :)

Yes...it is true --- Kevin is 40. I'll tell him about your "muuuuuuuch younger" comment. He'll puff out his chest with pride!

Camille said...

Thanks for letting Jimmy and I be part of Kevin's special day and what a special day it was! The rock climbing looks like a riot. And what better way to feel young, than to scale a wall like that. What a sweet wife you are to throw such a surprise. The "Old As Dirt" theme was a hit!

Carola said...

Hey Rees, I found your blog through Jill's. I'm gonna add you to mine which is carolablackham.com. I'm so happy you enjoyed your massages so much that you blogged about it! YAY! more advertising for us. Haha!