Friday, November 21, 2008

Micalyn's Fairies







Last night, Micalyn won an "Excellence" award at her school's Reflections Contest Award Ceremony. She had submitted a painting of a fairy which she titled "With Outstretched Wings" (the theme for Reflections this year was "WOW"). After receiving a request from a friend, I have posted the fairy paintings that Micalyn has made over the past year. One day, she just sat down and painted one and I was so surprised! She has never had an art class in her life. Once she saw how much I liked the first one, she made a few more. She loves painting them, mixing the colors, giving a sense of movement to them. These are all free-hand with no pencil sketching first. I know I sound like a typical "bragging mom" --- but in this case, I just can't help it. I hope these fairies bring a smile to the face of anyone who takes the time to look at them.

5 comments:

Sensuousgirl said...

I love that they have a very distinct style to them. Your little girl has a bit of a modern art flare in her. They are totally cool. You should keep them in a safe place, they may be worth big money someday!

Jill said...

Beautiful paintings! Thanks for the chat yesterday.

Camille said...

Although they are all beautiful and unique, I love the one she is holding in the frame! They actually look like they are pages out of a childrens book. Camiah loves fairies and would love her fairies!

Keep up the good work Micalyn! You really have talent!

Thanks for posting Rees!

Anonymous said...

whoa those are amazing. Really really impressive, especially to be able to paint things like implied movement (flying?) with the blowing skirts and hair. How very "Abbott Handerson Thayer"esque. Check some out: (http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4SKPB_enUS307US308&q=Abbott+Thayer+angel)

I may or may not be wearing a beret and drinking espresso while writing this.

Teryn said...

Wow! Those are gorgeous- they look like something designer. Like art you would purchase to put on the wall. I am really impressed!