Friday, August 15, 2008

That Girl Can CLIMB!

The Green wall was a cake-walk for Micalyn (above)
Micalyn stretching it on the blue route (below)


Micalyn WAY up on the blue route

Micalyn working hard on the blue route

Micalyn can FLY!! Taking a rest near the roof of the pink route

Micalyn progressing on the pink route

Micalyn at the top of the "EASY" (her description) green wall

Micalyn "warming up" on the blue kiddie wall (32 foot climb)

Micalyn getting close to the top of the blue holds wall --- a climb that kicked her mom's booty...she made it to the top, though :)

Micalyn and her proud mama!

Micalyn working against gravity to navigate over the "roof" on the pink route --- hold on tight!

Micalyn approaching the first "roof" on the pink route

Micalyn making it over the first "roof" on the blue route

Micalyn about 20 feet up the blue route and still climbing!

Sweaty and tired mom descending after completing the blue holds wall (above).
Micalyn and mom --- enjoying "Girl's Day Out" (below)


Micalyn and mom --- Ready to Climb!!

Micalyn and Almond (an amazing climber!)

Mom and Micalyn --- Goofballs!

Equipped with a harness, rope, climbing shoes and chalk; Micalyn proved something today --- SHE CAN REALLY CLIMB!

My BFF Almond treated us to a "Girl's Day Out" which included lunch at the Pizza Factory, a day of climbing at "The Quarry", and a nice-cold Jamba Juice to top it all off.


Micalyn showed absolutely NO FEAR on any of the walls. She was like a little super-hero up there climbing higher and higher. She was climbing routes that are challenging for adults. She easily out-climbed her mother (very humbling I might add), and at one point, when her sweaty, exhausted mom couldn't make it past a tricky part, she asked, "Mom, do you want ME to do it?" Truth be told, she inspired and amazed her fellow "girls" that day.

The walls she scaled topped off at about 32 feet. That's a full 3 stories! In many spots, she was working hard to get over "roofs" which are slanted sections of the wall. She aced so many of the routes that Almond just kept pushing her to try harder and harder ones. I think the only reason she stopped climbing (after 8 routes) was that her arms and hands just didn't have any juice left.

So - here's a Blogger HIGH FIVE to my 10-year old rock climber. "CLIMB ON!"

2 comments:

Camille said...

Ok, where in the world is this awesome rock climbing wall? You guys look like pros even down to your outfit Rees. Mikalyn will remember rock climbing with her mom forever. I wish you lived in Alpine and we could workout together. Maybe eventually in the near future we will be neighbors. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

We climb at "The Quarry" in Provo. It is right down by Movies 8. My friend, Almond, has all of the climbing gear, so we just go down there and go CRAZY!! It is still very challenging for me because my upper-body strength is pathetic. I mostly use my legs when I climb. I'm getting better, though, and I'm enjoying it as a new hobby. I really loved climbing with Micalyn that day. She surprised me and amazed me with her bravery and strength. It was definitely a day to remember :)